This flag represented a group of about one hundred minutemen from Culpeper, Virginia. The group formed part of Colonel Patrick Henry's First Virginia Regiment of 1775. In October-November, 1775, three hundred such minutemen, led by Colonel Stevens, assembled at Culpeper Court House and marched for Williamsburg.
All outdoor flags have a canvas heading with brass grommets. This flag is an example of the lack of uniformity in American flags during the Revolutionary period as each group chose what flag to be used as it's standard. This flag has the unique elements of an elongated canton and blue stripes. It was raised over the Guilford Courthouse, North Carolina on March 15, 1781 under the leadership of General Greene whose militiamen halted the British advance through the Carolinas and turned them back to the seaport towns. This was one of the bloodiest battles of the long war with the British losing over a quarter of their troops.
In June, 1846, American settlers in California revolted and proclaimed an independent republic. They raised a bear flag that had a star and stripe from "Old Glory" and a silhouette of the California Grizzly. This flag was a republic flag for one month before being replaced by the Stars and Stripes and eventually became the state flag of California.
During the War of 1812, this flag flew aboard Oliver Hazard Perry's flagship "Lawrence" while he was commanding an American squadron in the Battle of Lake Erie on September 10, 1813. Perry had named his ship after Captain James Lawrence, the hero of an earlier sea battle off New England whose dying words were "Don't Give Up The Ship"
This flag was carried by Colonel William Moultrie's South Carolina Militia on Sullivan Island in Charleston Harbor on June 28, 1776. The British were defeated that day which saved the south from British occupation for another two years. The South Carolina state flag still contains the crescent moon from this Revolutionary flag.
The Burgundy cross, based on the wooden cross where St. Andrew was crucified, is an old vexillological symbol used by Spain, especially at sea, for many years. In much more recent times, it was used by the Carlists (Requetés) during the Spanish Civil War and afterwards, and by the Traditionalist Party (Partido Tradicionalista) during the post-Franco years.